Monday, March 25, 2013

What Motivates You?


Nobody can stay motivated constantly. There are always moments when you want to stop. There are moments when you feel disappointed with your performance or are wondering how you’re supposed to make it 30 more miles to the finish line. To combat this, I’ve begun writing phrases on electrical tape and putting them on my bike. It’s a combination of things I know will make me laugh and things I know will make me motivated to keep going. After all, they say smiling makes even the worst of pain less. Often I don’t even have to read the words; just knowing they are there is comforting. I wanted to share some of the phrases that I have used and see if there are any that you would like to share.

“There are two reasons to stop: a broken left femur and a broken right femur.”
            This one both motivates me and makes me laugh at its ridiculousness. Obviously, there are other reasons to stop but it shows that most triathletes will stop for almost nothing. I've seen firsthand people get stung by sting-rays during the swim and refuse medical attention until after they finished. I also saw someone crash so bad during a race that they need stitches to repair the muscle, yet they still finished.

“If you have to ask why, you don’t understand”

“Smile if you’re not wearing underwear.”
            A classic really. Instantly makes everybody (who wears underwear during a triathlon) laugh and feel better.

“Live for (insert name here)”
            Everybody has lost someone that means a significant amount to them. Remembering them at down moments during racing and training always makes you motivated to keep going to finish it off for them.

“The only easy day was yesterday.”
            Slogan of US Navy SEALS

And then there is the ever popular,

            “Pain is temporary but quitting lasts forever.”

Feel free to share your thoughts and your favorites.
Fight on my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment